Thursday 16 May 2013

                           25th to 27th June 2012



Steve:  As I mentioned in the last blog this is a bit of a mega day, Dolly says it’s an 8.5 hour journey but by the time you include petrol and rest breaks you can add another couple of hours on that.. And so it transpired, 11 hours of fun filled but tiring riding through the peaks and valleys ‘tween Serbia and Montenegro. Bend after bend after tunnel, up and down and on one occasion sideways  (gravel around a sharp bend), fabulous and intoxicating!
Without question the best bike ride throughout the trip, and no complaints from my long suffering pillion either.. Debs has developed into a hardened ‘Biker bitch’ as she describes it.

image
Debs getting Arty with the camera
By the time we got into Montenegro I was absolutely knackered, the temperature had risen to 38C and the Pan was roasting my shins and feet, but there was another couple of hours before I could relax.

Eventually we reached Lepatane and the holiday home of my old friend Alec, and as we came around a very narrow road and alongside a small harbour I could see him waiting in the road for us to arrive.. I could have kissed him!

Off with the luggage and up to his house for a very cold beer (quickly followed by a second) before changing into swimmies and chucking ourselves into the sea, beautiful, just beautiful.. you could almost see the steam rising off me as I floated for about the next half hour.

image
Lepatane Harbour
Debs on the beer again!



I won’t go on about our time there but suffice to say we had a fabulous stay and really didn’t want to leave, both Alec and his partner Bridget treated us royally.. Lots of good food and a fair amount of very cold beer came our way.







We were also taken to the nearby town of Kotor, lots of cafes and bars (Hurrah!)  and we spent a happy and relaxed day wandering around before returning for an our final evening out at a nearby restaurant.
But all too soon it was time to go, and the following day we caught the 9am ferry across the water en-route to Croatia. Montenegro is a great place, good roads and loads to see.. We'll return for longer next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment